Re: Motorola xpr8400

DavidC KD4E

Would this be a good choice for a 2m digi mode (not digi voice) optimized repeater?

On March 17, 2021 09:37:03 "Skyler Fennell" <electricity440@...> wrote:

I got my copy at a ham fest out of all places . Too bad there’s no more of those nowadays

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 11:50 AM Allan Perrins <aperrins@...> wrote:
Peter,

If you read my post, I clearly stated that I had bought a copy on eBay.
There are NONE currently on eBay, as of this morning.  I had also found
downloadable copies on the internet.  You just have to keep looking.  I
will NOT make you a copy of mine, sorry.  I don't need to suffer the wrath
of Mommy Motorola.

Motorola no longer supports the XPR8300/8400 or that version of CPS.  That
being said, Motorola is VERY protective of their stuff, and is very
hostile to the "non-commercial" community, in general.  Particularly
amateur radio operators.  The last supported version (as far as I know)
for those radios was CPS 2.0 (yeah, I know.  It was a Motorola numbering
change).  Motorola used to be friendly to hams, even offered a discount on
parts.  No more.

To further complicate things, although you can READ your radio with an
older CPS (maybe), you won't be able to WRITE to it unless it was
programmed with the same version of CPS.  I always try to use the latest
version I can get my hands on to insure that there isn't a code plug
version mis-match.

Allan

Join main@Radios.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.