Re: Motorola xpr8400

Allan Perrins

Good luck with that. Remember, you will be limited by baud rate. My
sense is that one could probably send text and images faster by cellphone.
No matter what you do by radio, it's going to be slow. And now you're
going to need terminals and data modems.

OK - I will patiently shop for a better price.

This is not for digi-voice, DMR, etc.

The purpose is a digital text and forms (perhaps also images)
back-channel for ARES/etc emcomm.

It would start with county-wide and limited district (multi-county)
coverage, subject to upgrades.

When a longer distance is indicated - specific traffic would be
forwarded to HF (JS8Call, FSQ, PAT, etc.)

Details of the HF link methodology are incomplete ...

Thanks,

David KD4E

Call me cheap if you wish, but there is NO WAY I would pay that much for
GM300, unless it was gold plated. And even then, I think I'd pass.

That's WAY too much money for that radio; I don't think I've ever spent
over $50 for a GM300 on any band, including the rare 420 radios. There
are multiple articles on the internet that outline what needs to be done
to turn GM300's into a DMR repeater. The easiest is to use a duplex
MMDVM
board (those are on eBay as well).

The bigger issue you have on high band is a duplexer. You will need a 6
cavity duplexer at a minimum, 8 would be better. The 600Khz split is a
killer to do with solid-state radios, you need LOTS of isolation.
Better
to go DMR on UHF, you can get away with a cheap $100 "flat-pack"
notch-notch duplexer (also from eBay) that will work just fine as long
as
the repeater isn't on a high noise site.

Proprietary cables? I'm afraid for DMR, you will have to make your own.
Get the 20 pin connectors from eBay and wire them up like the tutorials
online show you. You will also need to beg/borrow/steal some test
equipment to set the radios up for data.

But they make a good repeater.

Allan

So, the Motorola Maxtrac 300 (GM300) 32 Ch VHF 144-174Mhz Radio?

Is $125. shipped, each, typical (in tested, working, condition)?

Are there proprietary cables I want to be sure to get with the rig?

ebay seller refers to a "HLD4322D board" but doesn't even list that as
an option in an attached picture.

Thanks

> On 3/17/21 12:17 PM, Allan Perrins wrote:
An XPR8300/8400 makes for an excellent DMR repeater. But so does a >
pair of GM300's, which are far easier to come by and program. Might
> I suggest reviewing the Wiki on the BrandMeister site for
"approved"
> radios? Lots of suggestions there. > > Read, read, read. Read until
your eyes bleed. > > And yes, there will be ham fests again . . . once
all this Plandemic > silliness is over. Blame Bill Gates and Anthony
Fauchi (and the > Chinese) for it. It will pass; the potential
long-term
effects from > the vaccine won't. > > Allan > > >> Would this be a good
choice for a 2m digi mode (not digi voice) >> optimized repeater? >> >>
On March 17, 2021 09:37:03 "Skyler Fennell" >>
<electricity440@gmail.com> wrote: >>> I got my copy at a ham fest out
of
all places . Too bad there’s >>> no more of those
nowadays >>> >>>
On
Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 11:50 AM Allan Perrins >>> <aperrins@sonic.net>
wrote: Peter, >>> >>> If you read my post, I clearly stated that I had
bought a copy on >>> eBay. There are NONE currently on eBay, as of this
morning. I >>> had also found downloadable copies on the internet. You
just >>> have to keep looking. I will NOT make you a copy of mine,
sorry. >>> I don't need to suffer the wrath of Mommy Motorola. >>> >>>
Motorola no longer supports the XPR8300/8400 or that version of >>>
CPS.
That being said, Motorola is VERY protective of their stuff, >>> and is
very hostile to the "non-commercial" community, in >>> general.
Particularly amateur radio operators. The last >>> supported version
(as
far as I know) for those radios was CPS 2.0 >>> (yeah, I know. It was a
Motorola numbering change). Motorola >>> used to be friendly to hams,
even offered a discount on parts. >>> No more. >>> >>> To further
complicate things, although you can READ your radio >>> with an older
CPS (maybe), you won't be able to WRITE to it >>> unless it was
programmed with the same version of CPS. I always >>> try to use the
latest version I can get my hands on to insure >>> that there isn't a
code plug version mis-match. >>> >>> Allan >>> >>> >>> >>>> Allan could
you give a link to the place you purchased the >>>> software for 30
dollars as most searches come up with 200 to >>>> 400 that would be
most
helpful to a lot of people and may be >>>> encourage them to be legal
and not be cheapskates. thank you >>>> Peter. >>>> >>>> KF4JIA >>>>

Join main@Radios.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.