Re: Motorola xpr8400

DavidC KD4E

It's for when cellphones and Internet are down & critical data still needs to get from place to place.

Text and forms are fast ... pictures (even heavily compressed) may go a different route.

Voice nets are always inefficient bottlenecks.

It will make for an interesting experiment - it can always be converted to a backup or secondary voice repeater.

Thanks

> On 3/17/21 10:50 PM, Allan Perrins wrote:
> Good luck with that. Remember, you will be limited by baud rate. > My sense is that one could probably send text and images faster by > cellphone. No matter what you do by radio, it's going to be slow. > And now you're going to need terminals and data modems. > > >> OK - I will patiently shop for a better price. >> >> This is not for digi-voice, DMR, etc. >> >> The purpose is a digital text and forms (perhaps also images) >> back-channel for ARES/etc emcomm. >> >> It would start with county-wide and limited district >> (multi-county) coverage, subject to upgrades. >> >> When a longer distance is indicated - specific traffic would be >> forwarded to HF (JS8Call, FSQ, PAT, etc.) >> >> Details of the HF link methodology are incomplete ... >> >> Thanks, >> >> David KD4E >> >> >>> Call me cheap if you wish, but there is NO WAY I would pay that >>> much for a GM300, unless it was gold plated. And even then, I >>> think I'd pass. >>> >>> That's WAY too much money for that radio; I don't think I've ever >>> spent over $50 for a GM300 on any band, including the rare 420 >>> radios. There are multiple articles on the internet that outline >>> what needs to be done to turn GM300's into a DMR repeater. The >>> easiest is to use a duplex MMDVM board (those are on eBay as >>> well). >>> >>> The bigger issue you have on high band is a duplexer. You will >>> need a 6 cavity duplexer at a minimum, 8 would be better. The >>> 600Khz split is a killer to do with solid-state radios, you need >>> LOTS of isolation. Better to go DMR on UHF, you can get away with >>> a cheap $100 "flat-pack" notch-notch duplexer (also from eBay) >>> that will work just fine as long as the repeater isn't on a high >>> noise site. >>> >>> Proprietary cables? I'm afraid for DMR, you will have to make >>> your own. Get the 20 pin connectors from eBay and wire them up >>> like the tutorials online show you. You will also need to >>> beg/borrow/steal some test equipment to set the radios up for >>> data. >>> >>> But they make a good repeater. >>> >>> Allan >>> >>> >>> >>>> So, the Motorola Maxtrac 300 (GM300) 32 Ch VHF 144-174Mhz >>>> Radio? >>>> >>>> Is $125. shipped, each, typical (in tested, working, >>>> condition)? >>>> >>>> Are there proprietary cables I want to be sure to get with the >>>> rig? >>>> >>>> ebay seller refers to a "HLD4322D board" but doesn't even list >>>> that as an option in an attached picture. >>>> >>>> Thanks >>>> >>>>> On 3/17/21 12:17 PM, Allan Perrins wrote: An XPR8300/8400 >>>>> makes for an excellent DMR repeater. But so does a > pair >>>>> of GM300's, which are far easier to come by and program. >>>>> Might I suggest reviewing the Wiki on the BrandMeister site >>>>> for >>>> "approved" >>>>> radios? Lots of suggestions there. > > Read, read, read. Read >>>>> until >>>> your eyes bleed. > > And yes, there will be ham fests again . . >>>> . once all this Plandemic > silliness is over. Blame Bill Gates >>>> and Anthony Fauchi (and the > Chinese) for it. It will pass; >>>> the potential long-term effects from > the vaccine won't. > > >>>> Allan > > >> Would this be a good choice for a 2m digi mode >>>> (not digi voice) >> optimized repeater? >> >> On March 17, 2021 >>>> 09:37:03 "Skyler Fennell" >> <electricity440@...> wrote: >>>> >>> I got my copy at a ham fest out of all places . Too bad >>>> there’s >>> no more of those nowadays >>> >>> >>>> On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 11:50 AM Allan Perrins >>> >>>> <aperrins@...> wrote: Peter, >>> >>> If you read my post, >>>> I clearly stated that I had bought a copy on >>> eBay. There >>>> are NONE currently on eBay, as of this morning. I >>> had also >>>> found downloadable copies on the internet. You just >>> have to >>>> keep looking. I will NOT make you a copy of mine, sorry. >>> I >>>> don't need to suffer the wrath of Mommy Motorola. >>> >>> >>>> Motorola no longer supports the XPR8300/8400 or that version of >>>> >>> CPS. That being said, Motorola is VERY protective of their >>>> stuff, >>> and is very hostile to the "non-commercial" >>>> community, in >>> general. Particularly amateur radio >>>> operators. The last >>> supported version (as far as I know) >>>> for those radios was CPS 2.0 >>> (yeah, I know. It was a >>>> Motorola numbering change). Motorola >>> used to be friendly to >>>> hams, even offered a discount on parts. >>> No more. >>> >>> To >>>> further complicate things, although you can READ your radio >>> >>>> with an older CPS (maybe), you won't be able to WRITE to it >>> >>>> unless it was programmed with the same version of CPS. I always >>>> >>> try to use the latest version I can get my hands on to >>>> insure >>> that there isn't a code plug version mis-match. >>> >>>> >>> Allan >>> >>> >>> >>>> Allan could you give a link to the >>>> place you purchased the >>>> software for 30 dollars as most >>>> searches come up with 200 to >>>> 400 that would be most >>>> helpful to a lot of people and may be >>>> encourage them to be >>>> legal and not be cheapskates. thank you >>>> Peter. >>>> >>>> >>>> KF4JIA >>>>

Join main@Radios.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.