Topics

Motorola xpr8400

peter

Hi all i am trying find someone who can help me with an xpr8400 repeater after it had a mains surge and now only the fan works  i have checked the power supply and it seems OK there is no smell or signs of burning or any kind of damage this is a VHF radio thank you for any help.

Andy KB1UIF

When you say you checked the power supply and you THINK it's ok, you really need to be 100% it's ok, before you look elsewhere for issues.
de KB1UIF

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy , an AT&T LTE smartphone
Get Outlook for Android

peter

Yes i did check it and it had the full 13.8 volts on the output leads and only the 2 fans are working. there are no signs of burning or any bad smells and all of the ribbon cables are all good as i have removed them and checked for cracks breaks and the usual items.
at this time i do not have a manual for it so i am working blind apart from all my years experience in the radio filed but i have never worked on 1 of these radio's thank you for getting back to me.
Peter
Kf4jia

Joe Murrin

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 2:04 PM peter <eire36@...> wrote:
Yes i did check it and it had the full 13.8 volts on the output leads and only the 2 fans are working. there are no signs of burning or any bad smells and all of the ribbon cables are all good as i have removed them and checked for cracks breaks and the usual items.
at this time i do not have a manual for it so i am working blind apart from all my years experience in the radio filed but i have never worked on 1 of these radio's thank you for getting back to me.
Peter
Kf4jia

Marvin Reynes

Good Day,

I would like to ask for someone who could help me find a programming software on Motorola CP1660.

It would be of great help and very much appreciated.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 7:09 AM Joe Murrin <XCDK43@...> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 2:04 PM peter <eire36@...> wrote:
Yes i did check it and it had the full 13.8 volts on the output leads and only the 2 fans are working. there are no signs of burning or any bad smells and all of the ribbon cables are all good as i have removed them and checked for cracks breaks and the usual items.
at this time i do not have a manual for it so i am working blind apart from all my years experience in the radio filed but i have never worked on 1 of these radio's thank you for getting back to me.
Peter
Kf4jia

Allan Perrins

Hi,

Since apparently no one else will tell you, the radio will NOT respond if
the CASE fan isn't running (the power supply fans have NOTHING to do with
it).  Clip the brown wire going to the case fan.  That will force the fan
to run at full speed.  Then re-program the CPS (save the current setup).
All will be good.  Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.  If you have to
replace the case fan, be sure to get a proper fan and NOT just some garden
variety fan.  And make sure it's ball-bearing.  You'll thank me later.

BTW, if the power supply fan ISN'T running, you WILL burn up your power
supply.  Yes, it's a DuraComm, and NO they won't repair it.  They are big
time expensive.  I highly recommend removing it and blowing all the dust
and crap out of it and replacing the crappy fan with a ball-bearing one.

Or, if you're totally frustrated with it, since it's VHF, sell it to me. I'm looking for a VHF unit. To the guy looking for CPS 16, quit being a cheap bastard and just buy a "legit" Motorola CPS on eBay. The original copy of CPS 16 I have only cost something like $30. Shipped. It also includes the upgrade files for the XPR8300 and 8400 to the latest version tested compatible by BrandMeister. And NO, I won't make you a copy. Allan

peter

Thanks Joe i appreciate the manual ill study it and let you know how i get on.

peter

Hi Allan thank you for the great information first off both the power supply and the main chassis fans are running and the power led on the front panel are working this was the state after either a power surge or a storm surge there is not any signs of burning or or the usual signs from lightning strikes as i have disassembled both halves of the system and looked closely at  ribbon cables and socket all the normal place to look i now have a copy of the manual but i do not have the cps software for it i have a boat load of Motorola software but not this one so still looking if i find that the radio has an external serial EEPROM i can possibly read it to see if it is good thank you once again Peter KF4JIA.

peter

Allan could you give a link to the place you purchased the software for 30 dollars as most searches come up with 200 to 400 that would be most helpful to a lot of people and may be encourage them to be legal and not be cheapskates.
thank you Peter.

KF4JIA

Allan Perrins

Peter,

If you read my post, I clearly stated that I had bought a copy on eBay.
There are NONE currently on eBay, as of this morning. I had also found
downloadable copies on the internet. You just have to keep looking. I
will NOT make you a copy of mine, sorry. I don't need to suffer the wrath
of Mommy Motorola.

Motorola no longer supports the XPR8300/8400 or that version of CPS. That
being said, Motorola is VERY protective of their stuff, and is very
hostile to the "non-commercial" community, in general. Particularly
amateur radio operators. The last supported version (as far as I know)
for those radios was CPS 2.0 (yeah, I know. It was a Motorola numbering
change). Motorola used to be friendly to hams, even offered a discount on
parts. No more.

To further complicate things, although you can READ your radio with an
older CPS (maybe), you won't be able to WRITE to it unless it was
programmed with the same version of CPS. I always try to use the latest
version I can get my hands on to insure that there isn't a code plug
version mis-match.

Allan

Allan could you give a link to the place you purchased the software for 30
dollars as most searches come up with 200 to 400 that would be most
helpful to a lot of people and may be encourage them to be legal and not
be cheapskates.
thank you Peter.

KF4JIA

Skyler Fennell

I got my copy at a ham fest out of all places . Too bad there’s no more of those nowadays

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 11:50 AM Allan Perrins <aperrins@...> wrote:
Peter,

If you read my post, I clearly stated that I had bought a copy on eBay.
There are NONE currently on eBay, as of this morning.  I had also found
downloadable copies on the internet.  You just have to keep looking.  I
will NOT make you a copy of mine, sorry.  I don't need to suffer the wrath
of Mommy Motorola.

Motorola no longer supports the XPR8300/8400 or that version of CPS.  That
being said, Motorola is VERY protective of their stuff, and is very
hostile to the "non-commercial" community, in general.  Particularly
amateur radio operators.  The last supported version (as far as I know)
for those radios was CPS 2.0 (yeah, I know.  It was a Motorola numbering
change).  Motorola used to be friendly to hams, even offered a discount on
parts.  No more.

To further complicate things, although you can READ your radio with an
older CPS (maybe), you won't be able to WRITE to it unless it was
programmed with the same version of CPS.  I always try to use the latest
version I can get my hands on to insure that there isn't a code plug
version mis-match.

Allan

> Allan could you give a link to the place you purchased the software for 30
> dollars as most searches come up with 200 to 400 that would be most
> helpful to a lot of people and may be encourage them to be legal and not
> be cheapskates.
> thank you Peter.
>
> KF4JIA

DavidC KD4E

Would this be a good choice for a 2m digi mode (not digi voice) optimized repeater?

On March 17, 2021 09:37:03 "Skyler Fennell" <electricity440@...> wrote:

I got my copy at a ham fest out of all places . Too bad there’s no more of those nowadays

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 11:50 AM Allan Perrins <aperrins@...> wrote:
Peter,

If you read my post, I clearly stated that I had bought a copy on eBay.
There are NONE currently on eBay, as of this morning.  I had also found
downloadable copies on the internet.  You just have to keep looking.  I
will NOT make you a copy of mine, sorry.  I don't need to suffer the wrath
of Mommy Motorola.

Motorola no longer supports the XPR8300/8400 or that version of CPS.  That
being said, Motorola is VERY protective of their stuff, and is very
hostile to the "non-commercial" community, in general.  Particularly
amateur radio operators.  The last supported version (as far as I know)
for those radios was CPS 2.0 (yeah, I know.  It was a Motorola numbering
change).  Motorola used to be friendly to hams, even offered a discount on
parts.  No more.

To further complicate things, although you can READ your radio with an
older CPS (maybe), you won't be able to WRITE to it unless it was
programmed with the same version of CPS.  I always try to use the latest
version I can get my hands on to insure that there isn't a code plug
version mis-match.

Allan

> Allan could you give a link to the place you purchased the software for 30
> dollars as most searches come up with 200 to 400 that would be most
> helpful to a lot of people and may be encourage them to be legal and not
> be cheapskates.
> thank you Peter.
>
> KF4JIA

Allan Perrins

An XPR8300/8400 makes for an excellent DMR repeater. But so does a pair
of GM300's, which are far easier to come by and program. Might I suggest
reviewing the Wiki on the BrandMeister site for "approved" radios? Lots
of suggestions there.

Read, read, read. Read until your eyes bleed.

And yes, there will be ham fests again . . . once all this Plandemic
silliness is over. Blame Bill Gates and Anthony Fauchi (and the Chinese)
for it. It will pass; the potential long-term effects from the vaccine
won't.

Allan

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 11:50 AM Allan Perrins <aperrins@sonic.net>
wrote:
[...]

David Pye

Sigh.

Let's not stray so far off topic.

You aren't worth Bill Gates' effort to microchip.

David

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 at 16:17, Allan Perrins <aperrins@...> wrote:
An XPR8300/8400 makes for an excellent DMR repeater.  But so does a pair
of GM300's, which are far easier to come by and program.  Might I suggest
reviewing the Wiki on the BrandMeister site for "approved" radios?  Lots
of suggestions there.

Read, read, read.  Read until your eyes bleed.

And yes, there will be ham fests again . . . once all this Plandemic
silliness is over.  Blame Bill Gates and Anthony Fauchi (and the Chinese)
for it.  It will pass; the potential long-term effects from the vaccine
won't.

Allan

> Would this be a good choice for a 2m digi mode (not digi voice) optimized
> repeater?
>
> On March 17, 2021 09:37:03 "Skyler Fennell" <electricity440@...>
> wrote:
>> I got my copy at a ham fest out of all places . Too bad there’s no
>> more of
>> those nowadays
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 11:50 AM Allan Perrins <aperrins@...>
>> wrote:
>> Peter,
>>
>> If you read my post, I clearly stated that I had bought a copy on eBay.
>> There are NONE currently on eBay, as of this morning.  I had also found
>> downloadable copies on the internet.  You just have to keep looking.  I
>> will NOT make you a copy of mine, sorry.  I don't need to suffer the
>> wrath
>> of Mommy Motorola.
>>
>> Motorola no longer supports the XPR8300/8400 or that version of CPS.
>> That
>> being said, Motorola is VERY protective of their stuff, and is very
>> hostile to the "non-commercial" community, in general.  Particularly
>> amateur radio operators.  The last supported version (as far as I know)
>> for those radios was CPS 2.0 (yeah, I know.  It was a Motorola numbering
>> change).  Motorola used to be friendly to hams, even offered a discount
>> on
>> parts.  No more.
>>
>> To further complicate things, although you can READ your radio with an
>> older CPS (maybe), you won't be able to WRITE to it unless it was
>> programmed with the same version of CPS.  I always try to use the latest
>> version I can get my hands on to insure that there isn't a code plug
>> version mis-match.
>>
>> Allan
>>

>>> Allan could you give a link to the place you purchased the software for
>>> 30
>>> dollars as most searches come up with 200 to 400 that would be most
>>> helpful to a lot of people and may be encourage them to be legal and
>>> not
>>> be cheapskates.
>>> thank you Peter.
>>>
>>> KF4JIA

Allan Perrins

Not really off topic . . . it's all about control, whether it's Motorola
or someone else. If you don't get that, maybe you need to be chipped.

wrote:
[...]

I think the last thing I'll say about this here is that as an intensive care doctor, who has spent a fair part of the last year dealing with this hands-on, we've probably had quite different experiences about the impact of this, and how 'real' it is.

It hasn't been fun.

I expect that's why I am not a huge fan of 'plandemic' references.  Get a vaccine, don't get a vaccine, that's your choice (as it should be).

David

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 at 16:58, Allan Perrins <aperrins@...> wrote:
Not really off topic . . . it's all about control, whether it's Motorola
or someone else.  If you don't get that, maybe you need to be chipped.

> Sigh.
>
> Let's not stray so far off topic.
>
> You aren't worth Bill Gates' effort to microchip.
>
> David
>
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 at 16:17, Allan Perrins <aperrins@...> wrote:
>
>> An XPR8300/8400 makes for an excellent DMR repeater.  But so does a pair
>> of GM300's, which are far easier to come by and program.  Might I
>> suggest
>> reviewing the Wiki on the BrandMeister site for "approved" radios?  Lots
>> of suggestions there.
>>
>> Read, read, read.  Read until your eyes bleed.
>>
>> And yes, there will be ham fests again . . . once all this Plandemic
>> silliness is over.  Blame Bill Gates and Anthony Fauchi (and the
>> Chinese)
>> for it.  It will pass; the potential long-term effects from the vaccine
>> won't.
>>
>> Allan
>>

>> > Would this be a good choice for a 2m digi mode (not digi voice)
>> optimized
>> > repeater?

>> there’s no

>> eBay.
>> found

>> know)
>> numbering
>> discount

>> an
>> latest

>> for

Joe M.

Let's please keep the list on-topic. Yes, control issues are
off-topic unless you are talking about controls for a radio.

List Moderator

wrote:
[...]

I am familiar with the GM300's - thanks for the reminder.

Georgia returned to outdoor Tailgates a while ago and Hamfests appear to have resumed as well.

No evidence of any problems.

Stay strong out there!

> On 3/17/21 12:17 PM, Allan Perrins wrote:
> An XPR8300/8400 makes for an excellent DMR repeater. But so does a > pair of GM300's, which are far easier to come by and program. Might > I suggest reviewing the Wiki on the BrandMeister site for "approved" > radios? Lots of suggestions there. > > Read, read, read. Read until your eyes bleed. > > Allan > >> Would this be a good choice for a 2m digi mode (not digi voice) >> optimized repeater?

DavidC KD4E

So, the Motorola Maxtrac 300 (GM300) 32 Ch VHF 144-174Mhz Radio?

Is $125. shipped, each, typical (in tested, working, condition)?

Are there proprietary cables I want to be sure to get with the rig?

ebay seller refers to a "HLD4322D board" but doesn't even list that as an option in an attached picture.

Thanks

> On 3/17/21 12:17 PM, Allan Perrins wrote:
> An XPR8300/8400 makes for an excellent DMR repeater. But so does a > pair of GM300's, which are far easier to come by and program. Might > I suggest reviewing the Wiki on the BrandMeister site for "approved" > radios? Lots of suggestions there. > > Read, read, read. Read until your eyes bleed. > > And yes, there will be ham fests again . . . once all this Plandemic > silliness is over. Blame Bill Gates and Anthony Fauchi (and the > Chinese) for it. It will pass; the potential long-term effects from > the vaccine won't. > > Allan > > >> Would this be a good choice for a 2m digi mode (not digi voice) >> optimized repeater? >> >> On March 17, 2021 09:37:03 "Skyler Fennell" >> <electricity440@...> wrote: >>> I got my copy at a ham fest out of all places . Too bad there’s >>> no more of those nowadays >>> >>> On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 11:50 AM Allan Perrins >>> <aperrins@...> wrote: Peter, >>> >>> If you read my post, I clearly stated that I had bought a copy on >>> eBay. There are NONE currently on eBay, as of this morning. I >>> had also found downloadable copies on the internet. You just >>> have to keep looking. I will NOT make you a copy of mine, sorry. >>> I don't need to suffer the wrath of Mommy Motorola. >>> >>> Motorola no longer supports the XPR8300/8400 or that version of >>> CPS. That being said, Motorola is VERY protective of their stuff, >>> and is very hostile to the "non-commercial" community, in >>> general. Particularly amateur radio operators. The last >>> supported version (as far as I know) for those radios was CPS 2.0 >>> (yeah, I know. It was a Motorola numbering change). Motorola >>> used to be friendly to hams, even offered a discount on parts. >>> No more. >>> >>> To further complicate things, although you can READ your radio >>> with an older CPS (maybe), you won't be able to WRITE to it >>> unless it was programmed with the same version of CPS. I always >>> try to use the latest version I can get my hands on to insure >>> that there isn't a code plug version mis-match. >>> >>> Allan >>> >>> >>> >>>> Allan could you give a link to the place you purchased the >>>> software for 30 dollars as most searches come up with 200 to >>>> 400 that would be most helpful to a lot of people and may be >>>> encourage them to be legal and not be cheapskates. thank you >>>> Peter. >>>> >>>> KF4JIA >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > > > > > > >

Allan Perrins

Call me cheap if you wish, but there is NO WAY I would pay that much for a
GM300, unless it was gold plated. And even then, I think I'd pass.

That's WAY too much money for that radio; I don't think I've ever spent
over $50 for a GM300 on any band, including the rare 420 radios. There
are multiple articles on the internet that outline what needs to be done
to turn GM300's into a DMR repeater. The easiest is to use a duplex MMDVM
board (those are on eBay as well).

The bigger issue you have on high band is a duplexer. You will need a 6
cavity duplexer at a minimum, 8 would be better. The 600Khz split is a
killer to do with solid-state radios, you need LOTS of isolation. Better
to go DMR on UHF, you can get away with a cheap $100 "flat-pack"
notch-notch duplexer (also from eBay) that will work just fine as long as
the repeater isn't on a high noise site.

Proprietary cables? I'm afraid for DMR, you will have to make your own.
Get the 20 pin connectors from eBay and wire them up like the tutorials
online show you. You will also need to beg/borrow/steal some test
equipment to set the radios up for data.

But they make a good repeater.

Allan

<electricity440@gmail.com> wrote: >>> I got my copy at a ham fest out of